Next up off the tailoring rank – Vogue 8739, A wardrobe collection with a jacket, dress, pants and skirt. I’ve got my beady eye on the Jacket – the line drawing effectively waved a red-flag in front of me…
Such interesting (and challenging) lines! To make this a ‘proper’ suit combo, I’ll be teaming it with a matching skirt, but not from this pattern. The other garments in this co-ordinated pattern aren’t really my cup of tea, although the model looks fabulous in all of them. But that’s what models are paid to do I guess! I’ll figure out which skirt a little later on – think it’s time to diverge from my usual Burda 8155…
I’ll be making it with a gorgeous 100% wool fabric from EmmaOneSock – chocolate brown with grey and orange flecks in a chevron like pattern. I must admit I’m a little worried that it won’t be quite drapey enough for the dangly bit at the front. Especially as the pattern calls for either lightweight double knit/linen, or tropical wool, neither of which could be used to describe my fabric. But it will be nice and warm for winter, which is the aim. Why I’ve decided to make a winter suit during the height of summer is beyond me!
Whacking together the toile for this jacket was just as I expected – challenging! A total of 5 sharp corners were required, and I’ve always struggled with these in the past:
I tried two differing ways to doing these sharp corners – firstly I back stitched then removed the fabric from my machine when the point was reached, rearranged and pinned the fabric then took it back to the machine to attempt to continue stitching. Secondly I tried rearranging the fabric with the needle still down before lowering the foot and continuing on in one continuous stitch.
The visual result clearly says the ‘pivot and continue’ method (on the left) trumps the ‘remove, rearrange and continue’ method:
The drafting of the sleeves were not filling me with confidence. The notches did not match (I checked back with the pattern twice!) and the upper sleeve was a good 28mm longer than the lower sleeve – yuck!
I attached one sleeve from this pattern (on the left side of the photo below) and the other from Vogue 8333 (on the right). Ignoring the fact that I still need to adjust the seam between the sleeves and jacket bodice, you can see immediately that the sleeve on the left is larger, more obviously so at the cuff where it gets a little ungainly:
Side views of each sleeve tell the whole truth, showing the cumbersome circumference of the V8739 sleeve against the well-shaped and nicely fitted (yet badly set in – too much easing at the front, serves me right for rushing!) sleeve of V8333 on the right.
I’ve done a better job of setting in the V8739 sleeve along the back (on the right of the photo below) than the V8333 sleeve, but otherwise the rear of the jacket looks to me to be well fitted.
I like the length of the peplum as it currently is (my bodies length between my waist and hips is longer than what most patterns account for) so I’ll add an additional 1.5cm.
Considering I cut a straight size 14 when usually I require a larger size to accommodate my shoulders, I had to make relatively few changes to the bodice:
– changing the curved centre back seam to a straight seam
– taking in the long diagonal seams at the back by 0.5cm each side
– taking in the front princess seam above the bust to reduce the gaping
– moving the sleeve seams in towards the body to get a better visual line
The seams at the front are so tricky that I’m really not sure how one would do any kind of bust adjustment on this if needed.
And currently I’m loving seeing all the waist-level peplums around at the moment, perhaps I’ll have to pull together a summer peplum so I don’t have to wait to get in on the action! The dress below is a favourite of mine from 2009, but similar styles are still popping up at the moment all over the place:
|Victoria Beckham, Elle Macpherson and Mary J Blige in the Victoria Beckham ‘Carmontelle’ Dress in Cashmere.|